M.B.B.S. from Madras Medical College (MMC), Chennai (July 1998 to March 2004)
M.D. (Internal Medicine) from Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh (July 2004 to June 2007)
D.M. (Gastroenterology) from Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Lucknow (July 2008 to June 2011)
International fellowship grant for the year 2015 awarded by ESGE (European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy). Trained under Professor Jacques Deviere at Hopital Erasme attached to Université libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium specially for ERCP
JSGE (Japanese Society of Gastroenterology) fellowship at Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan under Professor Arakawaa for training in EMR and ESD
Trained under Dr. Kitano at Kinki University, Osaka, Japan in diagnostic, therapeutic and contrast enhanced endoscopic ultrasound (EUS).
Awards & Honors
- Honors in Anatomy; Distinctions in Physiology, Biochemistry, General medicine, Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Paediatrics
- Blackwell award for Clinical Medicine in 2002 from Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Prize for oral presentation at UP-ISGCON, 2009, Mussoorie
- Prize for Poster presentation at INASL, 2010, Bhubaneshwar
- Young clinician award at INASL, 2011, Chandigarh
- Endoscopy quiz prize at ENDOCON 2012, Kolkatta and free travel fellowship to DDW 2013
- European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) fellowship awarded by ESGE for yerar 2015
- Japanese Society of Gastroenterology (JSGE) Research Fellowship Program Award for the year 2015
Have done more than 20000 endoscopic procedures, including many therapeutic procedures like
Endoscopic variceal band ligation
Glue injection for gastric varix
Endoscopic injection therapy of peptic ulcers
Hemoclips application for GI bleed
Endoscopic guided naso-jejunal tube placement
Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) for enteral nutrition
Endoscopic guided dilation of esophageal strictures by CRE dilators and Bougie dilators
Endoscopic retrieval of foreign bodies
Pneumatic dilation for Achalasia cardia (both endoscopic and fluoroscopic guided)
Polypectomy (colon and stomach)
Argon plasma coagulation for angiodysplasia and gastric ulcers
Metal Stent deployment (SEMS) – Esophageal, Duodenal & Colonic
Pancreatic pseudocyst drainage (transgastric and transpapillary)
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP)
Endoscopic sphincterotomy of papilla
Plastic stenting of CBD
Extraction of CBD stone (using balloon & dormia)
Biliary stricture dilation
Mechanical lithotripsy of CBD stone
Biliary SEMS insertion
Pancreatic ERCP (through minor and major papilla)
Spy glass (Into biliary and pancreatic duct)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Association of Physicians of India (API)
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG)
- Indian National Association for study of Liver (INASL)
- Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI)
- European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE)
- Trichy Society of Gastroenterology (Founding member and Secretary)
- Rangan M, SaraswatVA, A chapter on “Resistant Hepatitis B Virus infection: Pathogenesis, Implications and Management” in a book “Comprehensive Textbook of Hepatitis B” published by Jaypee Publishers, Ansari Road, New Delhi
- Saraswat VA, Sengar VS, Rangan M. A chapter on “Minimal Hepatic Encephalopathy in Liver Cirrhosis” in a book “Hepatic encephalopathy” published by Elsevier Publishers, Gurgaon, Haryana
Research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Murali R, Bhalla A, Singh D, Singh S. “Acute pesticide poisoning: 15 years experience of a large North-West Indian hospital” Clin Toxicol. 2009 Jan;47(1):35-8.
- Gupta RK, YadavSK, Rangan M, Rathore RKS, Thomas MA, Prasad KN, Pandey CM, SaraswatVA.“Serum proinflammatory cytokines correlate with diffusion tensor imaging derived metrics and 1H-MR spectroscopy in patients with acute liver failure” Metab Brain Dis. 2010;25:355-6.
- Ghoshal UC, Rangan M. “A Review of Factors Predicting Outcome of Pneumatic Dilation in Patients With Achalasia Cardia” J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011;17:9-13
- Ghoshal UC, Rangan M, Misra A, “Pneumatic dilation for achalasia cardia: Reduction in lower esophageal sphincter pressure in assessing response and factors associated with recurrence during long-term follow-up” Dig Endosc. 2012 Jan;24(1):7-15.
- Gupta RK, Yadav SK, Saraswat VA, Rangan M, Srivastava A, Yadav A, Trivedi R, Yachha SK, Rathore RK.“Thiamine deficiency related microstructural brain changes in acute and acute-on-chronic liver failure of non-alcoholic etiology” Clin Nutr. 2012 Jun;31(3):422-8.
- Choudhuri G, Rangan M. “Amebic infections in humans” Indian J Gastroenterol. 2012 Jul;31(4):153-62.
- Yadav SK, Gupta RK, Saraswat VA, Rangan M, Thomas MA, Rutella S, Danese S, Wang E, Marincola FM, Haris M. “Reduced cortical thickness in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure due to non-alcoholic etiology” J Transl Med 2015 Oct 6;13(1):322.
Papers communicated and under peer review
- Rangan M, Gupta RK, Yadav SK, Rathore RKS, Thomas MA, Prasad KN, Pandey CM, SaraswatVA.“Relationship of serum proinflammatory cytokines with cerebral edema in acute on chronic liver failure”
- Rangan M, Saraswat VA.“Clinical profile of patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure with comparison of severity scores in predicting prognosis – A prospective study”
Reviewer in medical journal
Indian Journal of Gastroenterology
Workshops and CME organized/ attended as faculty
|CME on “Hepatitis” on July 27th 2014||Trichy Society of Gastroenterology(Organising secretary and faculty)|
|CME on “Pancreas” on March 15th 2015||Trichy Society of Gastroenterology(Organising secretary)|
|CME on “Approach to GI disorders”on March 28th 2015||Trichy Society of Gastroenterology(Organising secretary)|
|ENDOSURG 2015 on May 30th& 31st 2015||Trichy Society of Gastroenterology(Faculty)|
|TN ISGCON 2016 on Feb 6th & 7th||Trichy Society of Gastroenterology(Joint organising secretary)|
Workshops and Conferences attended
1. Workshop on “Basic Life Support” in 2002-03 at MMC, Chennai
2. “Good Clinical Practice” in 2007 at PGIMER, Chandigarh
3. “SR Naik Workshop on Bioinformatics” in 2008 at SGPGIMS, Lucknow
4. “UP-ISGCON” in 2009 at Mussoorie (1st prize for oral presentation)
5. “ISGCON 2009” at Kolkata (presented a poster)
6. “INASL 2010” at Bhubaneshwar (presented 2 posters)
7. Workshop on ”Pancreas and Endoscopy 2010” at AIIMS, NewDelhi
8. Workshop on “Clinical Biostatistics” in 2010at SGPGIMS, Lucknow
9. “Mid-term ISG: Clinics in Gastroenterology” in 2010 at SGPGIMS, Lucknow
10. “Mid-term INASL conference on HCV” at NewDelhi in 2010
11. “Current Perspectives in Liver Disease” at AIIMS, NewDelhi
12. “ISGCON 2010” at Hyderabad (presented 2 posters)
13. Manipal Liver Clinics 2010 at Bengaluru
14. “Single theme INASL conference on ALF” at Gurgaon in Dec 2010
15. “APASL 2011” at Bangkok, Thailand
16.“ISGCON 2011” at Coimbatore
17. EUS workshop 2011 at Coimbatore
18. Hepatobiliary conference at Hyderabad, 2012.
19. ENDOCON 2012 at Kolkatta.
20. Mumbai Live Endoscopy 2013 at Mumbai, Sep 2013.
21. Hepatobiliary conference at Hyderabad, 2014.
22. Indian Society of Gastroenterology at Mumbai, December 2014.
23. Hands-on workshop in endoscopic ultrasound at Chennai, Feb 28th& Mar 1st 2015.
24. JDDW 2015 at Tokyo, October 2015
25. Hands-on workshop in endoscopic ultrasound at Coimbatore, Jan 30th & 31st 2016
Areas of interests
- Therapeutic biliary and pancreatic endoscopic procedures, especially [ ERCP and EUS ]
- Liver failure
- Viral hepatitis
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Bio-statistics and research